Friday 16 September 2011

Platoon (1986)

Hello there sir, what are you eating there ? Some world history ? How would you like a cup of Vietnam war ? It's high in blood and tears, but that's good for your balls.
Is it just me, or is Vietnam starting to get silly ? I don't mean the war itself, that was horrible no doubt, but all that "everybody makes at least one movie 'bout it" kinda thing . Platoon is where it hit me, if you have seen one film that is based on Vietnam, you have more or less seen them all. All that changes is who dies, and... well , who dies. What you have is a jungle, lots of fireworks and blood to your knees. Same thing every time. Blood has no effect after seeing legs flying for hundreds of times, normal people get shocked and you just sit there with no facial expression saying: "i wonder where that arm flew of, could make a great souvenir ". That being said I wonder, do directors make these movies so that children would understand what is war and how cruel it is , or to rise their apathy level, so that they would not mind seeing their parents sliced in half by some maniac. I don't want to insult anyone, and specially not the veterans, but war is not getting horrible , it's getting boring.
Wow... talking like i'd have a heart. So aside from the fact that this war is what it is, Platoon does give (sort of) a twist in the whole "look at America freeing the shit out of them" plot. Oliver Stone does make American the good guys, but not all of them. There is still room left for jerks, rapists and messed up maniacs. And I think that is great. Let's face the fact that war is not all filled with happy-go-lucky beach boys that love every innocent child. That might be the best thing in this film.
That's how you look after taking drugs
What I understood from this film is that war is cruel, but there are some men involved that make it even worse. I guess That sums things up.
This film ? It's somewhat like every other , thou it build tension really well at some points, but that is nothing magical.Sound track is good and all.There is Johnny Depp there too, so girls can go wild now.I wanted to make a Charlie Sheen joke, but i don't think i should. Just to make things clear, movies is good, not too great. If you like this war for some reason, yeah sure it's awesome .
This trailer could be better... sheesh...

18 comments:

  1. I remember this movie. I normally don't like war movies, but it was good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the trailer could be better, but I enjoyed the movie, it's a nice watch, I wasn't born then, it's nice to know there are good older movies. I'm not really actually sure how critics aclaimed this, but I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't seen it. Got a friend who really loves it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charlie Sheen in war movie? There is one reason for me to watch this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember watching this movie a while back. A great freakin movie. Thanks for bringing back the memories mate

    ReplyDelete
  6. Only war movies I've ever seen are Full Metal Jacket, Saving Private Ryan and Bridge on the River Kwai.
    But I might have to see this one too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everytime I hear about Vietnam I have to resist the urge to scream "YOU WEREN'T THERE".

    ReplyDelete
  8. trailers from back in teh day are all below average. they've stepped it up recently

    ReplyDelete
  9. apocalypse now is still the best vietnam movie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have this movie, seen it tons of times.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You don't have to make a joke about Charlie Sheen...just mentioning his name is funny enough as it is. Winning!

    I do love the movie though and Sheen is still ok by my standards.

    http://loadsofwork.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete